Chelsie Hightower and Mark Kanemura's signature performance of SYTYCD Season 4

Before I get to the topic of the title, here's my recap of the thoughts of this week's So You Think You Can Dance top 18 episode.

I usually like standard hip hop affair - you know, the hard hitting type with the tricks and such, but the jailbreak from Twitch and Kherington was entertaining. It was nice to see Kherington go ghetto and show she has some flava!

I just love Courtney Galiano and Gev Manoukian. It seems as though they are in the middle of the pack and I don't know why... Usually there's one strong dancer in the couples that just carry the team but Courtney and Gev are evenly matched. Courtney is a stronger dancer but Gev is just cute in his adoration of her and he's a good partner. I thought their rhumba was hot! Not enough hip action from Gev but I don't care, this couple just does it for me!

Next we have Comfort Fedoke and Chris Jarosz' routine from Tyce Diorio. I usually like Tyce's choreography and this particular one was an African jazz routine. The look was interesting but there was no musicality with a heavy metal song. Choreographers need to be careful not to try make a statement with their art and instead make something more approachable to get votes for the sake of their dancers.

For the next number, it was William Wingfield and Jessica King. It was nice that their choreographer Doriana Sanchez was trying to emphasize Jessica in this disco number because Will is just in a class by himself. Jessica should know that she's in trouble - the judges pretty much say to her all the time she wouldn't be there if it weren't for Will. Jessica should have listened to Doriana's advice and taken it more seriously. In any case, I liked their disco number for what it was worth. Nothing spectacular but good.

I'm going to make the same comment for Kourtni Lind and Matt Dorame's dance number as I did for Comfort and Chris... Weird and difficult to understand routines will not get votes. This piece was choreographed by Sonia, a new choreographer to the show. I think she should have opened the gates to something with wow factor.

Moving on, we have Chelsea Traille and Thayne Jasperson. I thought it was a disastrous routine. I thought it was supposed to be a quick step but it was not quick at all. All night I've been talking about a crowd pleaser. I think the music was good and bubbly and it could have been out of the ball park and had they been able to pull it off.

Finally, we save the best routines for last... Chelsie Hightower and Mark Kanemura's routine of Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon. Okay, folks, we have our first signature performance of So You Think You Can Dance Season 4! This is an unbelievable hip hop performance. I'm not used to this style of lyrical hip hop but the gestures, the pops were so in sync and fed the story. I beliiiiiiiieeeeeeved the emotions of the stay out home housewife and the workaholic husband. This could go down as the best routine of the season.

Next, we also had a very good samba performance by Katee Shean and Joshua Allen. Katee might have had a problem feeling sexy but I believed it from the start when she shot her leg out on Josh' shoulder. I thought it was a good performance but it went in and out for me. For parts of the routine it seemed as though they were a bit slow and then they caught up to the music. But the best part of the dance was Josh' ass. He really has good hip movement on this.

Overall, a very good night with memorable performances!

*Updated, Chelsea Traille and Chris Jarosz got voted off. Not surprised as Comfort has been protected all season. And Thayne does have more personality than Chris.

No comments: